Open top menu
9 Oct 2013

The weather was bright and sunny yesterday, and so I took a leisure stroll at Punggol Promenade Riverside Walk in the evening starting from Tebing Lane to Lorong Halus Wetland Reserve. Although I frequent the restaurant outlets at Tebing Lane, I've never walk along the Riverside Walk before - so it was the first time for me.

As Riverside Walk stretches alongside with the Sungei Serangoon (Serangoon Reservoir), the light breeze that carries the smell of the reservoir, had made my walk very pleasant. The stroll from Tebing Lane to Lorong Halus Wetland Reserve is probably no more than 2 km. There are both cycling and running tracks, as well as exercise stations and resting benches along the way. Even for a weekday evening, there are many cyclists and joggers.

Good Location for Photographing Dragonflies

Riverside Walk is one of the ideal location to photograph dragonflies based on my observations. As I stroll along the track, there are tons of dragonflies that were flying around me.

Tips on Photographing Dragonflies Based on my Experience

  • Dragonflies usually appear along riverbanks and are very active on bright and sunny days.
  • Early morning is the best time to photograph dragonflies as they tend to be less active and wind is typically not as strong. This means that chances of them staying still long enough for you to photograph is higher.
  • A lot of patience is needed when photographing dragonflies as they may fly away when approaching them. So typically, I would "camp" at a spot and wait for my chance for one of them to "stop-by" on the grass around me.
  • Have in mind what kind of dragonfly shot you want i.e. whether front view or side view. With a composition in mind, you can then slowly approach it from the angle that you want.
This dragonfly picture was taken during my visit to the construction site of the Riverbank in 2010. I remembered that I had waited patiently for more than half an hour at a spot, just to shoot it from a 20-30 cm distance.

Riverbank Insects, Plants and Grass

There were nice looking plants and grass by the riverbank which makes good photography subjects. If you are observant and patience enough, you can also spot riverbank insects.

Abundant Birds (... But Probably Difficult to Photograph)

Many birds were spotted in the clear blue sky, but no luck to spot any bird that land around me. A long telephoto lens (at least 300mm) is probably required if you want a clean good close-up shot of them.

Walking Bridge that Connects Riverside Walk to Lorong Halus Wetland Reserve

At the end of the Riverside Walk, there is a prominent walking bridge that connects to Lorong Halus Wetland Reserve.

As I stand over the walking bridge over Sungei Serangoon (Serangoon Reservoir), I can see the Serangoon East Dam.

If you do not want to walk over to Lorong Halus Wetland Reserve, you can either continue your journey to Punggol Waterway, or the Punggol Promenade Nature Walk (i.e. towards Punggol Point/End).

Restaurant and Fast Food Outlets at Tebing Lane

With the sun setting, I ended my walk back at Tebing Lane where my car is parked. The restaurants and fast food outlets at Tebing Lane are bustling with diners.


Other Photos Taken During the Construction of Riverside Walk

In 2010, I've visited the construction site for the Riverside Walk

0 comments